Thursday 2 June 2011

The Ronan Parkes Conspiracy or Britain's Got Fixations

NB. 10 minutes after I made this blog the article has been removed by SYCO.

A few days before the final of Britain's Got Talent Final there have been allegations that the show is fixed. (Where have I heard this before?)

An article has appeared claiming that Ronan Parkes was already signed up and BGT and The X Factor have "preferred" winners.

I have learnt that it doesn't matter what is said about any of Cowell's shows, people will be even more likely to watch because of the controversy than the talent. Ronan Parkes can sing and so too can Paul Potts and Susan Boyle but in my opinion the fuss surrounding these acts exceed their star potential.

What I do know about this article is that this is not the work of somebody at a record label. It's pretty much bullcrap. I don't believe the person who wrote this is in the industry and is more likely a blogger or in the tabloid media with links to Cowell just to make a story.

Now it is no secret that I don't like Simon Cowell and I would love this to be true but it just doesn't read well.

I think Ronan Parkes could well be known to Cowell but I doubt he has been groomed. He has been helped with styling and clothes but come on, it's the biggest show, do you expect them just to send the lad out any ol' how?


The thing that leads me to believe the writer isn't clued up is they go on to talk about stuff I know for a fact.

"Like all SYCO contracts, it is heavily weighted in favour of the label and are notoriously bad, even in the cut-throat world of the music industry."

The SYCO contract I signed wasn't bad. It was a standard Sony 4 album deal with option periods in favour of the label which is also standard. (My issue wasn't with the contract it was the lies and spin about the manner in which I left.)

Record deals are not that bad for artists these days. That's why Leona Lewis is sitting around doing diddly cos she's still getting paid and the next option period is probably worth another £250k in her bank account.

With regard to being a "preferred winner". This is vague. They've not mentioned Leona or Shayne or what connections I may have had with the show. I sense they are guessing. If they really were linked to Cowell they could give infomation. They don't.

Les Gibson was in The Big Big Talent Show final back in 1997 with me. He is known to ITV producers just like I was. Would that mean he is "preferred"? I think producers have to make certain decisions because ultimately it is an entertainment show for tv.

I can understand some of the allegations regarding Simon wanting a UK Justin Bieber and I have no doubt artists are put into this show who have links with the show, management, producers etc etc but this is nothing new. If Simon manipulates the public into buying a new Bieber then we deserve what we get. Just like FPTP (Oops! sorry about that)

What is sad is that acts like Joe McElderry could win a show but the label will spend £400k but will spend £1.5 million on the runner-up. This results in the winner being dropped and the label's "preferred" act being crowned the real winner. (Where have I heard that before?)

I've always said the show is manipulated, I've said it for years and nothing has changed. The public forget, move on and lap up the next series and they love it.

So there you have it. I strongly suspect this to be fake and a PR exercise to get people talking and that is what it has done - just before the final. Win or lose Ronan Parkes has had a great showcase and a record deal waiting for him.

PS I'm tempted to do another X Factor blog this year. I remember Gary Barlow telling Cowell not to mess things up for Leona Lewis. It's make or break for her this year so I'll be interested to see if Gary says anything to his new boss. I doubt it.

excuse mistakes, i don't spell check and the wife is out.







1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

Ronan definitely has talent, but such a shame that greed and manipulation will decide his fate!
Just found your blog and will be stalking....oops....following, lol!